June Mortgage Payoff Status

June 25, 2013

June was a great month! We were able to take off 2 pieces and now we only have 10 more pieces to go!!!!!! I’m so excited!!!!  We are still hoping to have this thing paid off by November 2013. That would make it 29 months from when we started paying down the principal in June of 2011 after hearing Dave Ramsey’s message:

If you are new to this blog, this is our visual aid for our mortgage payoff.  Every black piece represents a sum of money towards our debt. We take a piece off every time we reach the dollar value of a black piece.

In the beginning: June 2011

Mortgage debt visual aid.

May 2013:

Mortgage Visual Aid

June 2013:

June Mortgage

We use last month’s money to pay for this month’s bills.  We are stoked because we got paid in May 3 times!!! Yesssssssssssss!!!!!

Recreation money:  I’m not even going to talk about this anymore. I spent it on food and ate it. What’s new?  And I bought sheet music to “A thousand Years.”

Money Obstacles:  We had to budget for alot of gifts!  It’s a total blessing, but I feel like all of our friends are having babies!  It’s crazy!!! I think I know at least 8 women who are pregnant right now. WOW! We also needed to budget for clothes this month, I think it’s been at least half a year since I spent money on clothing.

I'm doing the Happy Dance after our Budget Meeting!

I’m doing the Happy Dance after our Budget Meeting!

Thanks for stopping by!!!

1. June 25, 2013 6:10 pm

Love it! I’ve now paid down 19.7% of my mortgage in the first twelve months! I can’t wait until I completely eliminate mine in a few years like you guys will this year!! 🙂

2. June 25, 2013 8:38 pm

Congratulations!!! We have have had the money to pay our mortgage in full for a couple of months now. We’re just waiting on paperwork. It took 4 years from start to finish and it’s amazing knowing that the roof over your head is paid off. How will you celebrate when you pay it off?

• June 29, 2013 7:14 am

Wow….4 years only? That’s incredible!!! I don’t know what we will do to celebrate. Maybe go to Nashville to visit Dave Ramsey in his office and do the “debt free” scream! What about you guys?

3. June 26, 2013 5:59 am

Congratulations!!! That is awesome news, I am so happy for you guys! November will be here before you know it and you will be mortgage free. I love the happy dance 🙂 Such a great feeling! I look forward to more payoff status’ and possibly baby posts in the future ::wink:: ❤

• June 29, 2013 7:18 am

Future babies?!?! lol……we are still going to wait a couple of years before any rugrats come along. I think it would be fun to hang out a bit without having to work so much before they come. AND……then I could get all the hand-me-downs from my friends!

4. Frank permalink
    July 18, 2013 5:53 pm

I love stumbling on blog pasts where folks are paying off their homes. For me I bought a place that had rental property on it.. Not knowing any better I thought.. woohoo free money, with no clue of what to do with it. I was paying the mortgage on a house I owned back in the UK for a few months so having essentially enough for two mortgages was very useful.. Eventually the UK house sold and I just had the hairbrained idea “hey I wonder how long it would take to pay off this 30 year loan at double rate?” Excel had a handy function where you can calculate mortgage payments and it allows you to artificially bump the payments. Well when I did this my payments went to zero in about 7 years.. I nearly fell off my chair. I really didn’t believe it but as the employment situation was beginning to look a bit dodgy at the time I thought it was worth a try. Well after one year I found the payments were exactly correct so I started getting a little more excited and started throwing pay raises, beer money, buying used clothes etc. It started to become an obsession and I absolutely would not spend any money on myself (and I was single, don’t believe what you here about guys with posh accents being so popular.. your just weird..:)..).

Anyway I think it was about 6 years and change and I made the final mortgage payment.. So this would have been about 2003 or so.. I had a house paid for and almost no savings.. so now we (I got married in 2000 to a delightfully frugal girl) started saving… I now $1.2M and I am honestly thinking about retiring.. I mean.. I made it.. I’m free…:)

All the very best to you, keep driving.. When you own the roof over your head you always have somewhere to live..:)

Frank