Homemade Panna Cotta
Anytime friends come over for dinner is an excuse for me to try one new recipe. I never like to try more than one new recipe and end up making my friend’s eating something that might taste like egg slop…they might not talk to me again.
I like to be resourceful and utilize ingredients that I have in my fridge as much as possible. The other day I noticed that we had a plethora of strawberries that I had bought from Costco! After some browsing on the internet, I decided to adapt a recipe of Strawberry Panna Cotta! My husband and our friend’s loved it AND it was super easy to make. The presentation of the dessert is key: I was stoked when I realized I have these mini-wine glasses to serve them out of. This allowed the different-colored-layers to be seen. I topped each serving with a little heart-shaped strawberry! Food always looks more appetizing when it has a fun presentation.
Just one word of advice: Don’t do what I did as reenacted in the following sentences
“How are you doing over there, do you need me to pick anything up from the store?” asks Husband while driving home.
“Actually, if you could buy some whipped cream that would be great, we don’t have any, I checked” I said.
“You looked in the side of the fridge and didn’t see anything?” asks Husband.
“Yeah, I’m sure.” I said, secretly wondering if he thinks I’m mentally impaired.
Turns out: I am! Husband came home and look what he found in our fridge…Ta daaaaa!!!!
My response? “Thanks honey, I love you!”-said the not-so-resourceful-nurse ;(
Strawberry Panna Cotta
Ingredients for 4 servings
- 7 oz milk
- 7 oz whipping cream
- 1/2 tbsp gelatin
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 oz fresh strawberries, quartered
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp honey
- Canned whipped cream for topping
- 2 strawberries cut in heart shapes for topping (optional)
- Dissolve gelatin in 2 tbsp cold water and let it swell for about 5 t0 10 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan simmer the cream, milk and sugar to over medium-low heat (Do not boil). When sugar has dissolved remove from heat add vanilla extract and honey.
- Add gelatin in the milk mixture and stir until the gelatin has completely dissolved. Pour it in the serving/wine glasses or ramekins and refrigerate until it sets, for about 4 hrs or overnight.
- In a small saucepan put the strawberries, sugar and water. Bring to a simmer and remove from heat immediately.
- Pour into the bowl of a blender or food processor and blend the mixture to make a smooth sauce.
- Cover and let it cool to room temperature then refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Top with a dollop of whipped cream and a heart-shaped strawberry!
Hope you enjoy! Thanks for stopping by!