Zesty Zucchini Sticks!
On Monday, our small group had a potluck pizza party. I wanted to bring something that would be easy to make, easy to eat, and easy to transport: zucchini sticks!! It was a great idea until I realized I had all of the ingredients in my house, except for the zucchini ;( Boo!
What I like about this recipe is that I opted for both grated Parmesan cheese and shredded Parmesan, to give the sticks extra flavor and texture. Also, since the zucchini sticks can be long, it’s great to cut them in half to provide for more strips and better presentation AFTER they are cooked.
The pizza party was a success! I managed to eat 4 pieces of pizza, 3 zucchini sticks, 2 bowls of salad, a heaping of artichoke dip and a large bowl of brownie and ice cream delight. I would definitely call that a success! I could barely move after, but it was worth it 😉 The best part: they ate all the zucchini sticks! Yay!
Hope you enjoy!
Makes 32 pieces
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 9 tablespoons seasoned dry bread crumbs (Italian preferable)
- 6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 4 zucchini, cut lengthwise into quarters
- 2 cups of your favorite red pasta sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Line baking sheet with foil, spray foil with cooking spray.
2. Pour flour into a large shallow dish (dinner plate should do). Combine bread crumbs, all Parmesan cheeses, and garlic powder into another shallow dish. Combine egg whites and milk in another shallow dish; beat with fork until blended.
3. Coat each zucchini stick with flour, then dip into egg white mixture, letting excess drip back into dish. Roll zucchini in crumb/cheese mixture.
4. Place zucchini sticks on baking sheet; spray sticks with cooking spray. Bake 22-27 minutes or until desired crispiness. Serve with warmed pasta sauce.
Thanks for stopping by!! Have a great day!