5 minutes of research saved us $520

January 29, 2013

I got a flat tire the other day at work.  No idea how it happened, I was leaving work for my midnight break to go get some Jack in the Crack when it happened ;(

We like to park wherever we please.

We like to park wherever we please.

I was really craving some curly fries and 2 tacos for 99 cents. Waaah!

The Subaru Forester is all-wheel drive so that means that all the tires should be the same when replacing them.  The problem is that they stopped production of these tires awhile ago so they are VERY hard to get a hold of.

One shop quoted us $290.

FOR ONE TIRE!!!!!!!! I think I almost had an MI!  AND it wouldn’t be there for a week.

Therefore, we resulted to what most other frugal families would do: CRAIGSLIST!!!

Low and behold there was an ad for the same tires we needed at the frugal price of $75 per tire.  Not bad!

Husband called, asked if the tires were still available and for how much.

Yes, they were still available AND for $30 each!  We bought two which equals $60, just in case I happen to get another flat. Such an awesome deal! Saved us $520 if we had gone with the crazy guy.

I love craigslist!  They sell weird stuff I need everyday!

Questions for you:  Ever scored on a killer deal on craigslist or ebay? Ever sold something weird that you never thought would sell?

Thanks for stopping by!

1. January 29, 2013 2:54 pm

That’s great that you guys were able to save that much money 🙂

Craigslist is such a great resource. We have used it to sell my husband’s old dirt bike equipment and my daughter’s baby walker and bassinet.

2. Lauren permalink
    January 29, 2013 4:36 pm

I have been purchasing cell phone batteries (on my 3rd now for current phone) from eBay. Some websites that sell accessories and batteries were about $30+ for the same battery I found on eBay for $8 ($12 with shipping). A few minutes of research usually proves to be beneficial to my pocketbook. 🙂

Your blog makes me very hungry ALL the time. I just had to tell you!

3. cuparoons permalink
    January 29, 2013 5:46 pm

Wow! That’s an amazing deal! My husband uses Ebay all the time and just loves it, too!

4. January 29, 2013 8:23 pm

We bought our jogging stroller from craigslist! Such an awesome site!

5. January 29, 2013 10:17 pm

Awesome good for you. We do the exact same thing. Before buying new see if someone is selling something online. You never know what you will find.. more money to put towards that mortgage now Cheers

6. January 30, 2013 3:14 am

I have heard so many horror stories from people using Craigslist that it is good to see someone have a positive experience.

7. January 30, 2013 12:47 pm

How did you get them installed or did you get the wheels with the tires? Most tire stores have a fit when you ask them to install tires that you didn’t purchase from them.

8. January 31, 2013 8:35 pm

I never would have thought of using craigslist to get new tires! I still need some back tires so hmmm. I love craigslist!

9. February 1, 2013 4:33 pm

Our last tyre cost us .. $80? $90? Awesome deal that you found!

10. studentdebtsurvivor permalink
    February 3, 2013 7:30 am

I love craigslist. I’ve found so many things there (roommates, tennis partners, furniture, you name it).

1. Link Love/Week in Review 2/1/13 | Budget and the Beach
  2. Link Love: Superbowl Weekend Edition! « the random path
  3. Mr.CBB’s Personal Finance Reading List #5- Hello Blackberry Z10 and Show Me The Money Ticketmaster! « Canadian Budget Binder