November Mortgage payoff status

November 29, 2012

If you are new to this blog, this is our visual aid for our mortgage payoff.  Every black piece represents a sum of money towards our debt. We take a piece off every time we reach the dollar value of a black piece.

In the beginning: June of 2011

Debt Visual aid tool

October 2012

Mortgage debt visual aid tool

November 2012: 1 piece removed

Our mortgage debt is officially under 6 digits!  Mustache party + Half Marathon + getaway to Napa = slacking on the work ;( I had too much fun this month and have been doing sissy-sally work hours (like 24-36 a week…..boooooo.) Next month we should have more time and hopefully we will be able to take two pieces off next month 😉  It’s looking like our payoff date will be closer to this time next year because of all the multiple expenses that came up the past few months (dental work, computer for school, etc.)

Goals for next month: Take off two pieces and save at least $60 of my recreation money. I can’t ever seem to save my recreation money because I continue to eat it (lunch with friends, starbucks, etc.)

Questions for you: Saving for any big expenses?  Paying off debt? I’d love to hear from you 😉

Thanks for reading!

1. November 29, 2012 6:56 pm

Good for you! I love this little puzzle you put together!! Do you think that you will both sell the house at some point to buy a bigger house once this one is paid off?

2. November 29, 2012 8:57 pm

Woo on getting the mortgage under 6 figures!!!

3. November 30, 2012 8:39 am

I will begin to work and pay off my student loan. It is definitely a burden but a little by little, the debt will become smaller and smaller!

4. John S @ Frugal Rules permalink
    November 30, 2012 10:12 am

Awesome for you! I love the picture to work on taking pieces off. I find having something visual can really help motivate. We like to use a picture of the vacation place we’re going to go as we love to travel.

5. December 1, 2012 1:05 pm

Congrats! We’re working on early mortgage payoff, too. But since we just bought this year we are still well in the six figures!

6. Patricia permalink
    December 3, 2012 11:48 am

My husband and I are working on paying off our truck and school loans…we should be able to be debt free except for our mortgage in about 2 years…We are so excited!!!!

• December 17, 2012 11:19 pm

Good for you guys!!! That’s so awesome and not easy to do! Keep it up 😉

• Patricia permalink
        December 19, 2012 8:14 am

Thank you, I love reading your blog your a big inspiration. I found out about Dave Ramsey when we were doing marriage counseling before we got married and I was so excited. I love that my husband and I learned before we got married and made the decision to become debt free that way we can live our lives differently than the way we were brought up. I can’t wait for the day we can yell “WE ARE DEBT FREE!!!!”

7. December 4, 2012 5:22 pm

That’s awesome! It’s always hard to save during the holidays. Even if you set aside some money for gifts and parties, there are always some unexpected function that you are likely to attend. I know that this might be an “anti-Ramsey” statement, but I feel that the holiday season is time to spend with friends and family and the debt payoff may slow down and take a back seat for a little while. As long as you’re not accumulating new debt or over-doing it, I do not see anything wrong with it!

You gotta give yourself credit: Your mortgage is under 6 DIGITS!!!

1. Mark Carney, TFSA, black friday results, and blog roundup