Constructing a frugal, fake photo booth

November 15, 2012

Renting a photo booth was never in the question.  It’s way outside my budget by several hundreds of dollars ;(  I thought it would be fun and thrifty to figure out how to construct a fake photo booth.

Mustache party Photobooth

The first place to start is location.  Where is the photo booth going to hang from?  Take out a ruler and take measurements. I would recommend a place where lighting is consistent. We used our spare bedroom that faces two large windows that allow natural light in.

How to make your own photo booth

Second stop is fabric.  I would suggest choosing two different types, a solid color for the background and a patterned fabric for the foreground curtains.  We decided on an orange background to go with the fall theme and a multi-mustache fabric for the foreground. My mother-in-law was able to find the materials at an awesome store in Garden Grove, CA and she hemmed the fabric with her sowing machine. She’s awesome.

Mustache fabric

Third, you need a long, thin piece of wood or a broomstick handle from which the fabric will hang.  Try to make the width and heights as small as possible in order to sit onto command clamps (I bought my 2 command clamps from walmart for about $5 each, mine were each able to hold 5 pounds.)

Next, you will staple gun the fabric to the piece of wood starting with the background, then the foreground.

DIY photobooth

Set up your command clamps on the wall, hang up background, play with props and have at it 😉 I was able to get a lot of my props from dollar tree 😉

Make your own photobooth

Hope you enjoy!  Thanks for reading!

Questions for you:  Any fun DIY projects you have done,  are doing or want to do?

1. November 15, 2012 7:04 am

I LOVE that mustache fabric!

2. November 15, 2012 8:28 am

Hee hee this is so amazingly awesome!

3. November 15, 2012 7:15 pm

So cool!

4. November 15, 2012 8:16 pm

That is probably one of the most clever wedding ideas I’ve seen. Luckily photo booths were not a big thing when we got married 5 years ago, but I’d love to have done something like that for my wife.

5. November 16, 2012 11:01 am

wow really cool!

X Jenny
    Rocknrollerr.com

6. Lauren B permalink
    November 16, 2012 3:07 pm

How neat! This turned out so cute!! Congrats to the husband on graduating and hope his party is very mustache-y!!

I have been working on a rocking chair recently (bought from an antique store and sanding down) and will be painting it this weekend, so it’s semi-DIY. My BIG project will be coming soon with an attempt at cloth diapers. We shall see how these turn out …

• November 16, 2012 5:42 pm

Cloth Diapers!!! That’s exciting!!!! Did you get the rocking chair for a good deal? It’s the best when you can do something yourself for a fraction of the cost 😉

• Lauren B permalink
        November 19, 2012 4:47 pm

The rocking chair was $45 and one of the cheapest (but sturdiest) I found. We just painted it yesterday and it turned out so nice! Just a black paint with a satin finish and I will get some cushions for it soon. I just about barfed when I saw that nursery gliders cost $300 and up. No thanks, man.

7. November 16, 2012 6:29 pm

WHy is MR. Big Time shirtless?

8. November 17, 2012 10:03 am

Oh I love the moustache fabric! Such a good idea!

1. Movember Mustache Party « Nurse Frugal