Nursing Meme: When your patient has TB and you don’t know it!

October 4, 2012

ER Nursing

Don’t you love that?  The patients don’t come in with signs on them saying that they have TB, MRSA, VRE, the list goes on. It’s happened to me a few times, and you would hope that someone along the way could have given you a hint: the family, the admitting doctor….anybody?

Questions for you: Can anyone relate? Has this ever happened to you?

Have a great day!

1. October 4, 2012 12:51 pm

I know, seriously! I hate it when that happens!

2. October 4, 2012 3:17 pm

😦

3. John permalink
    October 4, 2012 7:50 pm

two words…universal precautions

4. October 5, 2012 11:11 am

Good luck with training!! Very cool 🙂 Would love for you to checkout our latest posts when you have a minute.

xo, April & Brittan

5. Brandi permalink
    October 6, 2012 11:15 am

Sorry, but universal precautions will not save you if the person in a droplet/airborne patient. It’s sad that This type of miscommunication happens between doctors and nurses or even amongst nurses themselves.

• October 6, 2012 8:05 pm

I agree Brandi. I wish universal precautions cut it, but unfortunately it happens all the time ;(

6. October 7, 2012 6:24 pm

This happens to me quite often. I get called to the floor or ICU for an airway emergency. The patient is coughing everywhere and I have to stick a tube down their throat! So you know I’m inches away from whatever they are coughing up. I learned from my training at County to always bring an N95 mask to codes and airway emergencies. So far, my Tb tests have been negative!! I’m pretty sure it’s the same way for ER nurses, not knowing what walks in the door. You always gotta protect yourselves!!

7. October 21, 2012 5:35 pm

The wonderful world of Healthcare! It could be so much better, if all disciplines and departments could learn the fine art of communication! Hopefully, the TB was ruled out..