I lost my cash envelopes!!!

September 18, 2012

Yes, it’s true.  For two days my cash envelopes system was totally unaccounted for.  I searched everywhere: my car, my house, my mom’s house, my work and there was no sign of it for two whole days!  I first realized I didn’t have them when I needed to purchase something with cash at a bakery.  The envelopes weren’t in my purse so I figured it was in one of my other 3 bags that I usually carry with me.  Some things that immediately came to mind when I realized it was missing:

Homemade cash envelopes

The last place I remembered having it was at work. I took it out of my locker to show 2 coworkers that are also using a cash envelope system to gain control of their finances.  I remembered putting it back into my locker.

If someone had found it, would they return it?  It looks like a small purse and has monopoly money  fabric on the outside, pretty sure that someone would figure out there is money inside.

The day I lost it was 9/15, meaning that there was half of the month to survive without cash for groceries!!!

“Oh no, ALL of our gift certificates are in there, including some big ones from when we got married!”

“I think my husband is going to be so mad at me….I don’t blame him.”

“I loved my cash envelopes system.  It was my Christmas present from my mother-in-law and my husband. They both spent so much time picking out the different fabrics and putting it together. It was one of my favorite gifts.”

“How can I be such a bonehead?????”

The day I lost it, I placed a call to my work to see if anything had turned up.  Nothing had.  I told my husband what happened and he had so much grace on me.  He reassured me that we were going to be ok, and didn’t make me feel worse then I already did.

The following morning we went to church and the message was talking about how everything we own isn’t ours, it’s Gods and we are just managing it for him.  The message was also about how God expects us to care for our families and for others with the money he blesses us with.  I felt that I had disappointed God by losing my cash envelopes.

That afternoon I decided to call my work again to see if anything was turned in.  I was SHOCKED when the security officer told me that a visitor named “STACY” turned it in!!!!!  And it was intact!!!  I wish I knew more information about Stacy so I could thank her.  This reassures me that there are  good people out there that understand the value of things they find. It is also a good reminder to pay it forward.  STACY, if you ever read this, you are my angel! Thank you so much!

Question for you: Have you ever had a similar episode when you lost something and someone turned it in or you found it a few days later? Have you ever turned something in that could have been of great value to someone else?

1. September 18, 2012 10:51 am

Wow! So lucky to get it back! Stacy deserves a gold star for morality!

2. KatieP permalink
    September 18, 2012 11:10 am

What a super honest person Stacy is!! I haven’t used then envelope system is a long time…and mine were just ugly white envelopes. At that time it was not a productive system for us….unfortunately, there are oh so many other issues that went along with that–but I will spare you the details. We would only take out the money for the thing we were going to do–i.e. groceries, bills, church giving, etc. Then any change would go back in the env.
    Many years and a divorce have come about since then.
    I am also an RN, but I travel for a living–at least right now, so will need to explore a workable system. I do not use credit cards, and my bank and my daughter live in my ‘home base’ and since she is unable to bring in any $$, So as I said, I do need to figure out something workable, as I don’t feel I have the ‘stability’ I need.
    I just came across your blog last night from your reply to Pioneer Woman, and was intrigued by your screen name. I congratulate you for doing this early in your lives and doing it together as a couple with common goal in mind. Keep up the great work.

• September 19, 2012 3:06 am

Thank you Katie, i love the words of encouragement too!!! What department do you work in! I love being able to connect with fellow nurses! So nice for you to stop by, hope you come back and visit 😉

3. September 18, 2012 11:40 am

Seriously! That Stacy is a saint! So glad you got it back!

4. September 18, 2012 2:01 pm

So sorry you lost your cash but happy you got it back. That’s another big reason why we don’t want to carry cash. Once it’s gone, it’s gone as most people won’t be as kind as Stacy. It’s nice to know there are honest people around. Cheers Mr.CBB

• September 19, 2012 3:07 am

I completely understand why you wouldn’t want to carry cash! This is the first time in a year and a half that I have “lost” my cash envelope system 😉

• September 19, 2012 4:59 am

I’m not sure how I would handle that lol… I’m pretty close to the money I work so hard for. How did it make you feel when you realized you potentially lost your money? Was it alot of money or a little? Would it have made a difference?

• September 20, 2012 12:25 am

It felt miserable when I realized I lost the money. I felt like I let my husband down ;( It wasn’t that much cash, but we had several hundred dollars in gift cards! I was also sad because it was a sentimental item to me….my husband and mother-in-law spent a lot of time making it for me.

5. September 18, 2012 3:25 pm

God bless Stacy, and oh… I just can feel how you were when having it back 🙂 We don’t own, we just try to manage…

6. Healthy Glow Nutrition permalink
    September 18, 2012 3:35 pm

Stacy is an Angel! I am so happy you got it back, i can imagine your relief when you got the call. I have a story about things being returned. A few years ago we went rollerblading down by the water and I don’t know where my head was at but I decided to hide my purse in the truck. I guess it wasn’t well hidden as some thieves broke the window stole my purse with my wallet, cellphone, ID, Car keys, home keys (I wasn’t the one driving and it wasn’t even my truck it was my boyfriends), all this is broad daylight! Long story short I had to replace everything, from ID to credit cards. The purse I had on me wasn’t even mine, it was my girlfriends Gucci purse she lent me, yes a disaster! I was more upset about her purse and my boyfriend broken car window we had to replace, it was a mess. The police came and we filed a report. A week later I get a phone call from the police that a young kid found it thrown into the bushes at a nearby park and turned it in. Can you imagine? Expensive purse, my wallet was all there minus my cash and cell phone! That restored my faith that there are so many good people out there. Stacy is definitely one of them and I am very happy for you. 🙂

• September 19, 2012 3:10 am

Wow……your story is miraculous!!!! Especially since a young man found it and turned it in!!!! So awesome 😉 I bet your friend was happy when her Gucci purse showed up 😉

• Healthy Glow Nutrition permalink
        September 19, 2012 5:41 am

Thanks you! He was raised with good morals that’s for sure! She was but believe me I was happier. No way I could afford to replace it right away. It needed some cleaning as it was outdoors for almost a week but it looked as new after I took it for cleaning. I wish these good people all the best! 😉

7. September 18, 2012 7:47 pm

I am relieved for you. I have had similar scenario in the past. Talking to God about it was good.

8. September 19, 2012 5:02 am

dear nurse frugal, I nominated you for the Liebster Award 🙂 see the post here: http://dolacotidiana.wordpress.com/2012/09/19/exqueese-me-and-www/

9. steggy81 permalink
    September 19, 2012 6:31 am

Hey there! Cute blog and informative too. I’ve kind of looked around on your blog before, but have never commented. Question: How did you and Mr. Big Time decide to pay off your mortgage? Is this your forever house or do you live in an area where you can recoup your investment if you were to sell?

• September 20, 2012 12:33 am

Hi Steggy!
      Great questions! We decided to pay off our mortgage together after we had paid off our cars. We were contemplating saving money for a down payment for another property. We were also starting to listen to Dave Ramsey at that time, and decided that we wanted to be completely debt free before purchasing our next place. If we were to sell, we could definitely recoup our investment and a little something extra. We plan on living here until we can save up enough cash for our next place. I thinking at LEAST another 6 years. Thanks so much for stopping by!!!

10. MyMoneyDesign.com permalink
    September 19, 2012 9:39 am

I love that you have a cash envelope with Monopoly money on it! I have just a plain envelope in my dresser drawer (not full of much money …)

In college we found a wallet with $500 in it. We were so poor and easily could have stole the money. We didn’t, and turned it over to the police. Even though we never got a thank you or any sign of appreciation, we knew that we did the right thing.

• September 20, 2012 12:34 am

Wow….good for you! That was probably very difficult. Especially in college when everyone is so broke!!!

11. September 19, 2012 10:19 am

i often think to myself how much easier everything would be if there was two of me to pay for everything and help with my kids, but here i am..looking up shelters in my area for me and my kids to go because i have lost my job and we have no one.my car got smashed up, my heroin addict kids dad stole all the money i had..and here i am.for now.

• September 19, 2012 11:56 pm

I’m a believer in Jesus and I believe that he never gives us what we can’t handle as he said in 1st Corinthians. I have found that the hardest times in my life have shaped my character and the person I am today.

12. September 21, 2012 7:20 am

I lost my wallet twice when I was a student. The first time the wallet was returned, minus cash and a couple of concession cards. The second time it was returned intact. The second time was interesting because I dropped my wallet in a random bus in Adelaide and there were no contact details in there. They ended up calling the phone number on the card for the video library I worked for at the time – my boss gave them my mobile number so they could get hold of me!

• October 1, 2012 10:55 pm

Wow…….that’s an awesome person! They went so out of their way to find you!!! Killer 😉

13. mrsplungedindebt permalink
    September 21, 2012 7:59 am

Wow, I love when humanity proves itself! I haven’t had anything turned in but I have turned in money myself. I truly believe in Karma!

• October 1, 2012 10:58 pm

That just means that one day when you lose something valuable, someone will return it 😉

14. maria permalink
    November 10, 2012 12:53 pm

wow that was very lucky about 2 weeks I lost one with1500 and never found it, I am so sad about this as I am a disable person very sick and have a feeling that it was nicked while I rested on a bench but cannot say so anyway hope who found them did pray for forgiveness and the pain it has left me in

15. maria permalink
    November 10, 2012 1:11 pm

you might ask why did I have so much the reson was so I have enough to pay up my carers or helpers

1. Fabulous Friday « Nurse Frugal