Frugal Drink: Banana Agua Fresca

September 4, 2012

One of my favorite drinks growing up was Horchata which is sweet rice milk.  After my husband and I got married it was fun visiting the local Mexican hole-in-the-wall restaurants and trying their different tacos, pan dulce and agua fresca.  At one particular place I tried Banana Agua Fresca for the first time and got hooked!  It’s sweet, light, refreshing and DELICIOUS!!!!!  Agua Fresca means “fresh water” and it can be made with just about any fruit of your liking.  Here’s a recipe I’ve adapted and tried for our family on Labor Day, it’s incredibly inexpensive to make…take a look at the ingredients:

Banana Agua Fresca:

4 cups milk or vanilla soy milk

banana Agua Fresca

Directions

Blend 1st five ingredients in a blender with 3 cups of water until smooth
Add the rest of the water (9 cups) and stir
Add 4 cups milk and stir
Add ice and sugar to taste

Note: Best to be made and served immediately as bananas tend to darken quickly

Banana Agua Fresca

Thanks for stopping by!  Have a great day!

Questions for you: What are your favorite comfort drinks?

1. September 4, 2012 11:34 am

My wife is Mexican and I’ve had this many times down there and made it up here. I love it, and you’re right it is extremely cheap as bananas are one cheap fruit! Anything that will help people have more cross cultural experiences is a great post in my book!

• September 5, 2012 8:20 pm

Yeay for Mexican wives…..we’re the best 😉 lol One day I want to post more stuff like chile rellenos and enchiladas 😉

2. September 5, 2012 1:31 am

This sounds so yummy! I love the idea of using other fruits too 🙂

Becky | lifestyleflash.com

3. September 5, 2012 4:49 am

Have you made a single serving version before?

• September 5, 2012 8:26 pm

I’ve never tried but would be very interested to see how that turns out. Maybe if the recipe was cut into a tenth? lol, or just adding the milk, water and banana to taste in a little bullet blender?

4. globaldruginfo permalink