My credit card got hacked, Yakezie challenge and meeting Chris LoCurto

August 14, 2012

*First of all, husband and I decided to cut up our credit cards a little less than a year ago when we were teaching a Financial Peace University class.  For those of you who don’t know, Financial Peace University is a class created by Dave Ramsey to help people get out of debt and attain Financial Peace. However, we did not cancel the credit cards.  We knew we were going to do it someday, we were just to lazy to do it until the other day.  We were out watching the PawnShop Kings perform and we both received a phone call on our cell phones from a weird number.  It was American Express calling to ask us if we had just made some transactions on Amazon.com from a foreign country.  That was it, whoever it was tried to charge around $2,000 to our accounts so we officially closed the last credit cards we had . Yeay 😉 And….we don’t care about our credit score 😉

*I joined the Yakezie challenge!!! Hooray!!! Trying to find a community with other bloggers who enjoy reading and learning about life and finances.

Increase your blog statistics

*Last week we attended a Luncheon for Financial Peace University Coordinators and Pastors.  We got to meet Chris LoCurto, the guy who does most of the radio interviews for EntreLeadership.  He’s Dave Ramsey’s right hand man, and he was super humble and nice.  He took a picture with us 😉 Check out his blog here.

Entre Leadership

Thanks for stopping by!

Questions for you: Ever had your credit card account hacked?  Who are the coolest public figures you have met?

1. August 14, 2012 9:17 am

Gotta hate the hackers! Nice thing you guys caught it.

Smart move joining Yakezie. I’m not a member and not affiliated with them at all. But I do interact a lot with the members and you’ll have a ton of people visiting your blog in no time.

• August 15, 2012 11:13 am

Just wondering…..how come you never joined Yakezie? Since I am new….I still don’t really know what’s the big deal with Alexa.

2. August 14, 2012 4:52 pm

That is awesome that your credit card company called. Luckily, they are looking out for you! Way to go cancelling them!

3. August 14, 2012 8:06 pm

My credit card got hacked once, and, get this, the thief donated $4 of my money to a children’s hospital. It was really an eye-opening experience that a credit card thief was way more generous and prosocial than I’d been in years. I thought about trying to get the money back but pictured a child being disconnected from life-support as I went through the Mcdonald’s drive-thru to get fries, so decided against it.

• August 15, 2012 11:33 am

What? That’s nuts!!! They stole your money, and gave it away, that’s kind of funny and terrible at the same time! It’s like the Robin Hood credit card thief. Did they end up charging a lot on your account??

• August 17, 2012 7:44 am

Nope. I think that $4 donation is the only thing that ended up going through!

4. Elizabeth permalink
    August 15, 2012 5:01 am

Hi there Nurse Frugal! I just found your blog, and you we sound like similar souls, so I have added you to my blog roll :). Congrats on your FPU accomplishments and living like no one else. We too are working on paying off our mortgage. We do alot of animal rescue, so it is taking a bit longer than it should under more frugal circumstances, but our goal is to have our farm paid off within the next 5 years. Our bank account got hacked about a year ago, but the bank caught it immediately (they said the purchase didn’t follow our traditional spending habits…..(the hacker hacked late at night which is when we sleep around here….kinda comforting and scary at the same time that the bank is clued in to our nonnocturnal habits around here). Blessings from small town Texas~ Liz

• August 15, 2012 11:36 am

Liz, that’s so incredible!!! Good for you….what a noble cause to be rescuing animals! That’s exactly what my sister want to do eventually, open up some kind of animal rescue place. I am so excited for you and your goals to have your farm paid off within the next 5 years.You go girl! Sounds like you are a Dave Ramsey fan also? So excited to check out your blog right now 😉
      Your new blog friend
      -NF

• August 15, 2012 11:37 am

Your new blog friend
      -NF

Wait….it won’t link me back to your blog….what is it?

5. August 15, 2012 11:55 am

That is a mega bummer with the stolen cards. I have luckily not had it happen to me. Phew.

Welcome to Yakezie.. I am a recent member myself. I am trying to become friendly and meet more like minded people as well. Cheers to us.

6. August 15, 2012 12:36 pm

One of my Visa accounts was hacked a few years ago. The bank phoned me right away too. The person bought all kinds of stuff and it set off the red flags in the fraud department right away. They even bought an airline ticket. At first I was really upset, but the bank covered all the fraud charges and I realized that it happens to a lot of people.

BTW – Welcome to the Yakezie community! I found it confusing at first as well. If you ever have any questions, I’d be happy to help.

• August 23, 2012 8:03 am

Thank you so much!!!

That’s great that the credit card companies are very familiar with the red flags of credit card theft! It’s very reassuring!

7. August 15, 2012 3:32 pm

One of his cards got some spotty charges on it. We called and got them removed right away. Sometimes it’ll just be a buck or two to see if they can get away with the bigger charges. Oh, and CONGRATS! Welcome to the challenge! You can shoot any ?s my way, too…I’m still just a challenger!

8. August 16, 2012 12:08 am

Nope, never had my credit card hacked. Welcome to the Yakezie challenge. 🙂

9. August 16, 2012 7:26 pm

Congrats on joining Yakezie. Definitely a “must do” decision for financial blogging. I hope to see you around the web and Yakezie forums.

10. August 23, 2012 11:01 am

Whoa!! ID theft, hacked cards – all scary thoughts, though none of it has happened with me so far, thank God!

Also, I guess not everyone would be so lucky that their card company would detect the fraud in real time. I shudder to even think about that.

11. Yabusame permalink
    August 30, 2012 2:19 am

Ventured onto your blog from MMM 😉

Had my debit card hacked last year. Fortunately, got everything sorted so not a problem. Don’t want it to happen again though.

Most interesting ‘celeb’ I met was Ray Mears. I did a Bushcraft course with him and his staff about 13 years ago. Very humble and knowlegeable. Loved his stories.

All the best from lil’ ol’ England.

• September 4, 2012 10:59 am

Who is Ray Mears? I will definitely have to look him up. Your from England? Sweet! I would love to go there someday….which area are you from?

1. Credit card theft, Yakezie challenge and meeting Chris LoCurto … « creditwoe.com