Higher Calling: Where your money Should be going.

July 25, 2012

I can name at least 10 stupid things I spend my money on:

1. Coffee
2. Eating out (especially when I have food at the house).
3. Clothes (I have a ton of clothes in my closet).
4. Magazines
5. Chapstick (The chapstick bandit must be coming around and stealing them because I can never seem to find them).
6. Candy (It clogs my arteries.)
7. DVD’s. (So expensive!  And I never watch movies, seems like such a waste.)
8. Plastic utensils (If I really wanted I could wash the utensils I take the beach and reuse them. Some call it cheap, I call it frugal).
9. Accessories (really? They are fun and all, but I definitely don’t NEED them).
10. Excessive gas (I can walk or ride my bike to at least half of the places I visit frequently).

If I were to eliminate some of these costs I could be giving more of my money to people and organizations that matter. The bottom line is that there will ALWAYS be someone more in need then ourselves:

Heifer International: “Ending hunger and caring for the earth.”

Charitable organization

Kids Around the World: “Building playgrounds, building hope.”

Charitable Organization

Nuru International: “Ending extreme poverty one community at a time.”

Charitable Organization

Homeboy Industries: “Jobs not jails.”

Charitable Organization

Young Life, Oc Capernaum: “Live Life to the Fullest.”

Charitable Organization

What are you doing about it?

Questions for you: Where do you give?  Or do you? Is it your church? Friends? Family? Charities? Please leave a link to any websites you think are worthy.

1. July 25, 2012 7:03 am

Your blog is so inspiring! It makes me examine my own finances and spending habits. 🙂

And thanks for the sweet comment on my blog.

2. July 25, 2012 1:48 pm

We give to a few organizations monthly and we always sponsor a few families for Christmas!!! It does feel good to do these things but we could always be giving more….

• July 25, 2012 10:15 pm

I feel the same, that there is always room to give a little more when I have such an abundance of things I don’t even need! I love the idea of sponsoring a few for Christmas, we have been sponsoring a different kid each Christmas but it would definitely be nice to do the whole family.

3. July 25, 2012 4:31 pm

Great post! I also try not to spend money stupidly…

4. MyMoneyDesign.com permalink
    July 25, 2012 5:10 pm

Ahh, come on … those 10 things aren’t that bad. You’re not getting anything out of me until I have my coffee! 🙂

Seriously though – we do try to give back. My wife and I were “adopting” a poor family at Christmas, which was a lot of fun to pick out presents for total strangers and totally make their day. Recently my poor old Grandma has hit hard times. She just now retired at 80 due to medical reasons. So now we use the money to donate to her for food, bills, etc. I love you Gram!

5. July 27, 2012 7:33 am

I always try to give a bit there: Kantha Bopha Children Hospital, Cambodia: http://www.beat-richner.ch/
    My list does look a lot like yours…

1. Weekend Wind Down – The Dark Knight Rises