Budget Birthday Meal
Yesterday was Mr. Bigtime’s Birthday so I thought it would be fun to have family over to celebrate! I called my mother-in-law and she helped me prepare the meal and gave me some great pointers.
Mission: To make a delicious birthday meal within a budget for 6 people that doesn’t taste like egg slop.
Result: Delicious Tamale Pie with fruit salad and green salad with TONS of leftovers 😉
Total Money Spent: Approximately $32
Total Money Saved: At the minimum $50: If we had all gone out to eat and averaged about $12 a plate x 6=$72 + $15 tip= $87 minimum if we had dined out.
What I could do better next time: Chop up all the ingredients the day before and bag them up according to the steps in the recipe. This will allow for less time and stress the day of the event.
Random fact learned during dinner: Did you know that FDR did cocaine??
Recipe for Grandma’s Tamale Pie:
PREHEAT OVEN TO 350˚F
3 cloves of garlic
2- Brown Onions (Chopped)
1 cup- Celery
2 lbs- Ground Beef
1 lb- Hot Pork Sausage
2- 28oz cans of Chopped Tomatoes
2- 4/6oz cans Del Monte Mexi Corn (Drained)
Oregano To taste
1 cup- Corn Meal
2 Cans- Large Pitted Olives
4 cups grated Cheddar Cheese
1. Sautee Vegetables
2. Add Beef and Pork Sausage Brown & Drain Juice
3. Add Cans of Tomatoes and Drained corn
4. Season with Seasonings to taste
5. Simmer for 45 minutes to an hour on stove top
6. In a large casserole dish add the simmered meat/tomato/corn mixture
7. Mix in corn meal, olives and cover generously with grated cheese
8. Bake @ 350˚F for an hour.