HIT and RUN!!!

October 31, 2013

I cannot believe it’s Halloween already!  Time needs to slow down!!!!!

Some jerky turkey hit me and ran a few weeks ago.  I was driving the subie, going north on a green light when they ran a red light traveling west-bound, t-boned me, and kept going.  Who does that? My passenger side curtain and seat airbags deployed, I spun out, and parked on the side of the road.  Absolutely NO damage was done to me or the baby; I had no pain whatsoever upon impact and the days after.  I called 911 to get police out so they could file a police report of what happened. The 911 dispatcher asked if I needed emergency medical services and I said no: call me crazy or call me an ER nurse. Diego was kicking me on scene to let me know he was ok, and I had no pain whatsoever….thank the Lord!!!!!

Sad Subie

Witnesses were unable to get a license plate on the alleged “black SUV” because everything happened too fast.  Luckily, we have car insurance that covers these types of incidences. Unfortunately, we just found out on Monday that they will be totaling our Subaru Forester, after about a month of driving a rental and being in the dark about the prognosis of the subie.  This means: we have a few days to purchase another vehicle, and that our mortgage payoff may have to be slightly postponed. There is urgency to purchase a vehicle quickly because the car insurance covers our car rental up until Friday, and both my husband and I have to work Saturday.

To sel or not to sell the car

There is a small chance that we can both purchase our vehicle and payoff the mortgage on Friday depending on whether or not we get the check from our insurance for our totaled Subie. Bummer.  I was going a little nutty on Monday checking out cars on Autotrader when my husband stumbled upon an ad for a used, privately sold, well-maintained, low-mileage Jetta TDI Sportswagen that is less than a mile away from us. We were 99% sold on this car after we took it for a test-drive, this thing gets up to 45 miles per gallon!  Way better than the 24mpg I was getting with the Subie.  Praying that everything will fall into place by this weekend and that we will have lots of resolution for the car and the mortgage.  Will keep you posted ;)

Possible Mom-mobile

Possible Mom-mobile

Thanks for stopping by!

Questions for you:  Do you or anyone you know drive a Jetta TDI Sportswagen?  If so, how do you/they like it?  Any other cars that you would recommend that have great MPG and that have ample backseat and trunk space?

About these ads
  1. October 31, 2013 6:37 am

So glad you and “Diego” (love it) were not hurt.
    Cannot believe jerky turkey t-boned you and then kept going!!! Brutal!
    Happy Car Shopping!

2. October 31, 2013 7:30 am

Oh my gosh that is terrible!!! I’m so sorry! I’m glad that you and the baby are physically okay though :) I had my car vandalized last fall in MY PARKING GARAGE and I had to pay out the deductible, which was super annoying. I also had a rental car for like a week.

I don’t know anyone with a Jetta TDI Sportswagen, but my grandma had a Jetta for a long time and my parents have had a Volkswagen TDI car for almost 10 years and absolutely love it! I have a subcompact that gets about 40 mpg on the highway and it is amazing! Between that and not driving much, I spend so little on gas. Will the check from the insurance company cover the new car??

• October 31, 2013 9:04 pm

That’s good to hear that they like the tdi ;) the insurance check will cover the price of the car with a little leftover for us ;)

3. Karis permalink
    October 31, 2013 8:29 am

A friend of mine just had a very similar experience and just bought a Jetta TDI Sportswagen and love it! The mpg is great, the space is great (3 young boys) and all the reviews/reports he said really encouraged him in buying the car. His wife was sad to say goodbye to their subie, but I think she is really liking the new Jetta wagon.

• October 31, 2013 9:38 am

Awesome!!!! Thanks so much for the info!! So reassuring to know that someone else with little ones likes it ;)

4. October 31, 2013 1:41 pm

That stinks! I’m sorry :( I’m glad you are all ok though.