How to say “Thank You” to a Nurse

February 26, 2013

I’ve been getting alot of hits to this site for search terms such as “nurses week gifts,” “gifts for nurses,” and “nurse gifts.”  I thought I would put the myths to rest and tell you what kind of things nurses really appreciate.

Nurse Gift

Picture taken from here

Lotion

As a nurse, you are always washing your hands, to the point where they can get raw and manly-like.  My personal favorite is Dermabond.  Many of my coworkers LOVE it! It feels like butter on my skin….so lovely ;)

Chocolate

What do we do when we need a little pick-me-up: we do what MOST women do and enjoy a delicious piece of chocolate.  Most of us don’t discriminate against any brands or types, as long as it’s delicious!

Coffee and Coffee Mugs

Some nurses can be a danger to themselves and to others without their morning cup of coffee. Travel mugs are excellent ideas for nurses who need to re-energize throughout their 12-hour-shifts.

Gum

If a patient dies, it better be due to natural causes and not because of my breath.  I’ll admit, sometimes my breath can get a little funky and out of hand if I forget my toothbrush, but at least if I have gum; my patients can focus on getting better and not on my stinky breath.

Lunch bag

Most hospital units provide nurses with a fridge where they can store their lunch and snacks.  Having a lunch bag makes it easy to shove everything into a central place when we are running late.

Pens

Doctors love them, patients steal them, and nurses always leave work without them.  Sometimes I will go to work with 2-3 pens and come home empty-penned!  How does this happen?

Fun tag holders

At several different facilities I have seen “blinged” out name-badge holders and they are adorable!!!!  They can even be hand-made ;)

Travel mug, Toiletry bag, Lunch bag and Pen=Happy Nurse

Travel mug, Toiletry bag, Lunch bag and Pen=Happy Nurse

Link found to above nurses week gifts here.

Thanks for stopping by!

About these ads
  1. February 26, 2013 5:54 pm

Sounds like a nice little package that anyone would enjoy. I’m sure you can put all those search terms to good use now lol.

2. February 26, 2013 6:54 pm

I was just at the doctor’s the other day and the (younger) nurse told me that I was her gift for the day – She was glad to finally see someone under 50 there. :)

3. February 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Those are all great ideas. My wife’s grandmother knitted some scarves for the nurses at her physicians office. She goes once a week and sometimes they pick her up so that she doesn’t miss an appointment.

4. February 26, 2013 8:07 pm

Thank you for this information… My mother has surgery about two weeks ago and I’d like to thank her nurses. Thanks!

5. February 26, 2013 10:25 pm

Those are all great ideas! I also like the chap stick included in the bag, too:)

6. February 27, 2013 1:35 am

amazing post! Kisses from Rome Federica
    Follow me on smartchicdietreadbooksandfly.blogspot.it

7. February 28, 2013 9:42 am

This is so great! And timely! It’s good to have the inside scoop on what you guys actually use/appreciate. :)

8. February 28, 2013 3:04 pm

Hi there,
    My wife is a school nurse and every year for “nurses day”, she gets many of the items you have profiled above. You gals are really the best, and having worked in the health field for years (just retired), I must tell you that most nurses I have met are great people, and as you know it takes a very special type of person to do your kind of work.
    I met many wonderful nurses in the course of my work in the clinical lab.
    Cheers,