Marriage Investment: My favorite budget category

December 10, 2012

First, thank you for your input on last weeks post: “To sell or not to sell the car.”  My husband and I  have decided NOT to sell the car.  We strongly dislike the idea that we wouldn’t be getting the full value for the Subie if we sold it since it’s damaged.

Marriage

Any relationship takes work and effort, and there are many available resources out there to help with marriage.  After being married 3 months, we decided to go to a “Love and Respect” conference.  We didn’t go because we were having marital problems, we went because we wanted to be prepared  if we were to run into any normal marriage issues in the future. The “Love and Respect conference is awesome and  I would highly recommend it to any soon-to-be or married couple. It gave us a renewed sense of understanding and communication that we use every time we have an issue. One of the neat things about this conference is that there was one couple who had been married one day that attended, and another who had been married 60 years!!!

Living the frugal lifestyle makes you evaluate where you spend and invest your money.  One of our biggest priorities is our relationship, so it’s fun being able to regularly contribute to our “marriage” budget category and seeing what kinds of classes, books, trips and conferences we can attend as preventative “treatment” for our marriage.  It’s similar to taking a multivitamin every day, you do it so that you can prevent getting sick and low on electrolytes. You do it to maintain your health.  Same thing applies to us, we do it to constantly maintain and improve our “marriage health.”

Questions for you:  What do you do to maintain your relationship or marriage?  Do you constantly invest in it?  Why or why not?

Thanks for stopping by!

Disclaimer: This is not a paid advertisement.  This article reflects my personal opinion and I am NOT  getting compensated by Love and Respect ministries. They just happen to rock ;)

About these ads
  1. December 10, 2012 12:06 pm

We also went to a marriage class when we were first married. It was a great “preventative” class. We learned so much about our separate needs, and communication. We also save our money and invest in travel…which I think is a great investment :)

2. December 10, 2012 12:38 pm

Interesting.. we don’t do any of the classes like you do. Our marriage is great and I think we would work through any normal couple problems but like you said you might want to be aware of potential problems and ways to solve them and that’s a great way to be proactive! Cheers Mr.CBB great post.

3. December 10, 2012 8:54 pm

Many people take marriage counseling after they have problems. By then, there is often so much built up resentment and frustration that there is very little left to save. By taking these classes before you run into problems you’ve already helped to prevent future problems. I think that’s great!

4. December 11, 2012 2:24 am

My wife and I had to go through a per-marriage counseling session prior to the minister marrying us. I was super skeptical about it as I thought it was a waste of time, but it turned out to be a lot of fun and really worth the effort.

5. John S @ Frugal Rules permalink
    December 11, 2012 10:47 am

Good post! I could not agree more. While we’ve never been to a conference like that, investing in your marriage is vital to help it grow and stay fresh. My wife and I feel this a lot because we run our own business as well as have three little ones. We have to be intentional about it, like schedule times together were it’s just the two of us and having fun. It’s also important to do this as a family so you can foster a healthy marriage with the kids but also foster that connection between the two of you.

6. December 11, 2012 1:25 pm

I wrote a post on this same topic yesterday! I included conferences and counseling and books in my list of ways to invest in your marriage but they didn’t get much love from the commenters. My husband and I read Love and Respect together and it was very valuable!

1. Mr.CBB’s Weekly Blog Post Picks Dec 14,2012- Tek Who? « Canadian Budget Binder